Sunday, April 28, 2013

Planning

UC Verde buffalo grass is planted as plugs which then spread by sending out runners. The planting season is March through August because the grass grows during the warm weather of the summer.

I decided to plant my grass in late March, giving the weather a chance to warm up a little, but also giving me the whole summer for the grass to grow and spread before going dormant. I also thought that by planting early in the season, the plugs would have a chance to establish roots before the hot summer weather hit.

There are a limited number of places that you can purchase UC Verde buffalo grass from. I chose Takao Nursery, located in Fresno:

http://ucverdebuffalograss.com/

 The plugs are sold in trays of 128, with the recommendation of 1 plug per square foot. Since my lawn area is 230 sq ft, two trays seemed like the right number to order. Takao Nursery also sells a drill bit to drill holes of the right size, and Zeba root dip, which helps retain water for the plugs when they are first planted.

So, after figuring out what I was going to do, the next step would be to dig up my old lawn, prepare the soil for plating, and wait until March.

No comments:

Post a Comment